Monday, January 29, 2007

This book... -log#4

This book made me think...

This book made me think about the history, long time ago when the philosophers Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle were still alive. Reader one particular part of the book, I felt Socrates and Jesus had somehting in common. Both Socrates and Jesus announced the truth even if their life was in danger. No matter what, they declared the truth and death the consequence for both of them was death. They coudl certainly have saved themselves by appealing for mercy, but they both felt the had mission to finish. Of couse, I'm not suggesting that jesus and Socrates were alike, just merely the fact that they both had a message that was inseparably linked to their personal courage.

In another part of the book, it made me think about how philosophers resemble to children of young age. I noticed that most children tell the truth, no matter what kind of situation they are in, for example, the story with the emperor, a little boy, and two sly men. When the emperor wore the clothes the two men had made for him (which is actually nothing at all), everyone admired how beautiful and gorgeous it was even though they couldn't see it. A little boy, however, who was watching called out that the emperor wasn't wearing anything at all! Now, I don't think anyone would have done that if they knew what kind of situation they were in (I wouldn't have told the truth), but the boy told the truth anyway. As I said before, philosophers are like this. They let the world know the truth even if it would cause them trouble or even death.

No comments: